Project Minima:

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Mending on My Mind

I've been looking at things lately...



~ items from Sri Threads  ~

and wanting to do stuff like hand sewing and mending.


ChungHie Lee

J. Morgan Puett

May Chan
And constructing dresses in more creative ways...




Keysook Geum

Judith Ann Braun

Hinke Schreuders
or maybe it's about doing something more art than wearable...?  Like my work before sewing clothes.




Then again, just look at these works of wonder - all on plain ole shirts!  My heart skipped a beat.






images from the Nui Project, Japan

I've so many more images, but that's enough for now, don't ya think?   Everything from art for housewives, for example.

What I have been doing lately is making beads - necklaces - out of my teeny, tiny scraps of fabric and thread.  Fabulous, I think.  It takes me hours and hours, days and days.  I can't show you any right now, cuz some are Christmas gifts.  shhh, I've already said too much.




12 comments:

  1. Art clothing. So many of these pieces look too beautiful to wear, but I would want to share them with as many people as possible. I look forward to see your latest projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to sort through my studio and got about half-way through before the urge to create was irresistible. I pulled out my teeniest fabric scraps and started sewing away on making rag beads. deliciously addicting. I have visions of mended items dancing in my head...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know and I wanted to share them all. There's even more if you click on the links!

      Delete
  3. Love the boro vest best but all are fabulous. In Japanese "nui" means stitch and I adore the effect of much-mending in running stitches. Sadly, although I can knit an entire dress out of fine yarn, I seem to have no patience for so much hand stitching myself! Go figure.

    Can't wait to see what you make with all this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, and you weave your own cloth, and cultivate your own plants to dye your own cloth, etc., etc. That's patience. When doing the boro type mending, are the patches sewn on with raw edges or folded under? Do they use regular thread, or something heavier? I love it.

      Delete
  4. I love these! What an inspiration!
    I'm a big fan of Boro & I have always intended to take on something like that but like so many things, I haven't got round to it.
    I will be very interested to see your take on these.
    Happy Christmas. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm saying I'm boro-ing the fabric beads I'm making. Much more to come, it's still percolating.

      Delete
  5. I got hooked on making paper beads for awhile. It's so zen. And I love getting glue on my hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the ones I'm making are like the rolled paper ones you see, only done with fabric and stitched instead of glued.

      Delete
  6. MORE MORE MORE please!!! I'm breathless. I've been making the same basic things as presents. Nice but I'm ready (itching) to branch out. Thank you so very much for these images. I can't wait for some peace and quiet to allow the Muse back in to my life.

    Hope you had a good holiday. Sending love. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jean, your fabric presents have got to be divine - arm warmers, scarves, poncho-thingies...woo-hoo.

      The holiday was just lovely, thanks!

      Delete