Project Minima:

Monday, February 24, 2014

Can I Say Couture Manure?

Because that's what I've made.  All that time spent hand-stitching and I came up with an epic fail.  blah-ha-ha.

~ painting by Anita Dominoni ~

In retrospect, I suppose it was one of those what was I thinking scenarios...  But, on the other hand, I do love me some hand-sewing... Maybe taking it from fingerless gloves and hats to a designer coat was a bit  much.

Well in the end, or what I believe is the end at the present moment, I managed to move it up a couple notches from epic fail to moderately passable.  That means from only wearing it as a bathrobe to maybe wearing it out of the house on occasion. 

Okay, so if you want to see me in it, turn the page...




Moi, trying to fit in my dressing room mirror
What is wrong with this, you say?  Let me count the ways... Well, right off the bat, see how electrifying it is?  My trousers are totally clinging to my sox after putting this thing on.  It just won't stop with the static.

Moi, trying to show some hand-sewn top stitching
So it's main problem is it's a knit, 2 knits actually, sandwiched together.  I don't like knits, to wear or to sew.  They stretch and cling, have no structure, snag, show ever aspect of your bodyscape... Don't even ask me why I was using this/ doing this.

sagging olde thing on a hanger
I can't even get it on or off without a struggle cuz it sticks to whatever I have on under it.  yuck!  It is warm though, and soft.  A very good bathrobe...

baggy back view

and close-up of fabric with hand top stitchin'

stupid pattern

Oh, so what makes it look at least somewhat presentable in these pictures is, I found some old 1940's molded-to-your-shoulder pads, covered them and added them to the piece.  That definitely did the trick, giving some much needed structure so it could do a bit of draping rather than just limping and sagging.  hooray. 

I'm done here.  After I get on over to Patti and the Visibles of Not Dead Yet Style, that is.  See you over there.


17 comments:

  1. If I made anything half that good I'd be thrilled. I love the colour and the shape and the fact its warm is a bonus! I attempted a jacket last week thats resigned to a ball in the corner, that'll serve me right for making something without a pattern! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's a ball in the corner, the kitties will love it! Are you kidding? We all know you're a great sewer, I mean sewist, seamstress, whatever.

      Delete
  2. I love it as a robe - the color is calming and it looks very cozy. We can't hit home runs every at-bat, and you are crazy talented, so there's that. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, and have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely in the running for a robe position. I'm in the need for one too. We'll see how it goes. Still too hot off the press to settle on it yet...

      Delete
  3. Static aside, I like it! I'm fond of stretch and knits and am very impressed with your sewing skills. You should see my failed kaftan; much more dismal results that your coat.
    Those double layered knit fabrics always cling, but I bet if you wear it over slippery tank/tee it won't cling at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A failed kaftan, how can that be?! Well, I did not know that double layered knit always clings. hmm. It's sounding more and more like a bathrobe may be in my future.

      Delete
    2. I know, I know. A kaftan is sewing 101. Just goes to show how limited (putting it kindly), my sewing skills are. But I will persevere! I did sew a seam on a sarong that was successful...it's a start... :)

      Delete
  4. From my viewpoint, I think you did an amazing job with a beautiful fabric. Shoulder pads do work magic, don't they! Knowing you and your creative abilities, you will figure out how to make this piece shine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is very pretty ... tragic about the static. Is it lined? What about adding a non-static prone full lining? Otherwise, a pretty bed jacket, in which you can't pet the cat without shocking him/her. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there such a thing as non-static lining? I'll have to check that out. It's already pretty thick with 2 layers of knit...
      The cats can't come near it, just looking at it causes snags! ai-yi-yi.

      Delete
  6. Apart from the cling issue, I don't think your jacket is nearly as bad as you think! Yes, non-static lining really exists but that also means sewing in another layer. There is a spray you can get that might help. Static is worse in winter, right? And any synthetic fibre content can add to that as well as fuzzy texture of the knit inside.

    I also have that pattern and some day hope to make a jacket from it. I really like the shape. Haven't decided what fabric yet though I do love the Alabama Chanin version. So much stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither fabric is 100% cotton, so there's that. But It was really on sale! I'll tell you, the shape is extremely unflattering - on me anyway.

      I am thinking of taking it all apart and perhaps just doing one layer to see if that makes any difference. It certainly is easy seam ripping hand-stitching. Or I thought I might just sew all over the darn thing like shiboro stitching to see what that does to it.

      Delete
  7. What a shame about the static because I can see from the pic that it is a lovely jacket with a very interesting cut and I love the coral lacey fabric. Aren't there some anti static things you can throw into a tumble dry to sort out static in clothes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried everything yet. I'm sure more is to come...eventually. I do like the color and texture of the fabric.

      Delete
  8. This is an incredible piece, Pao. I'm so sorry that you've had this wretched cling! I've heard that hair spray gets rid of it. Your stitches are exquisite. You're an artist, I know you'll find a way to sing in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where's my Aquanet?
      For now my dressform, Patty Playpal is wearing it and I've gone on to other things. Like cleaning up my sewing studio.

      Delete