Project Minima:

Monday, February 23, 2015

Mission Possible Position

Yes, it's one of those days.
Nevertheless, I didn't want to miss out on my big date with Patti and the Visibles at Not Dead Yet Style.  Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Moving onward and upward.  Here we have my hand-sewn, with primary colors variegated thread, a hunter green jersey knit Lotus duster.  The rest of the pix are so bad they can't be seen.  I've already redone the fastening device and plan to do so again soon.  Another story...

Actually I've been sewing like mad, a least a dozen or more lovely pieces, but no photos.  Bad at photos.  And now I was just working on a lousy pj top and scorched the ivory cotton a nice toasty brown.  grrrrr.  grrrrr.   So rather than go down that road, I thought I'd share a success with you all.
For myself, really.  But you can look if you want.




My Studio Mission Possible of January 2015!!!

View as you enter the space
With everything so organized!!!!  I bought nothing, just scavenged what I already had, repurposed and rearranged things.  Did I mentioned I destroyed two other rooms in the process?  Their time will come.  I think those were modular bookcase-like shoe racks I have over the radiator for all my immediate sewing needs.  Like fasteners, tapes, pins, needles, elastic, on and on.  Many of the furniture type items were found in the alley eons ago.

Glancing to your right...
An alley shelving unit that holds (alley) crates and boxes of nothing but fabric scraps sorted by color with the top row being the tiniest (for jewelry).

Keeping on moving to your right...
Oh, I've got one of those Homedics chair massage covers on my swivel chair - perfect for the ole sewing stiffness.


A glass table is a great work surface and so easy to keep clean.

Continuing around to your right...
Shelving units holding my fabric stash, sorted by color.  If I'm really good, I also have noted the width and amount of yards on a slip of paper inside the roll of each piece.  I'm not very good, but I make stabs at it now and then.

That's the door we came in, directly across from the sewing machine.
The mannequin is wearing my Ivory flannel Lotus duster in process.

The cabinet holds patterns arranged by what it is (top, bottom, etc.)
The multi-glass paneled door goes to a closet that's not mine.

This door, however, goes to my art supply room
Or what was formerly called my art supply room.  This is one of the rooms that was destroyed in the revisioning and, frankly, cleaning up of the sewing studio.  For now the door is firmly shut.  Next to it is a rolling cart that holds trims, sorted by color, of course.

Back door to the enclosed back porch, ironing board...
The back porch is pretty much destroyed too, holds all my grist for the mill, clothes in waiting, to be harvested for renewal, etc.  Another door that is staying closed for the time being.  Especially during this cold weather.

So that's the 360 degree view.  ooo, that made me feel better already.  I have accomplished something.  I remember thinking it was in such a trashed state that it was simply impossible.  Not so.  Even when my sewing is a flop, I still have a great place in which to work.  Even when I'm aging every second.  I still have my massage chair and all my lights and magnifiers.  And a lot of cool clothes...and shoes...Yep, maybe everything's gonna be alright.

Thanks you guys.


19 comments:

  1. Wow, I am swooning over your studio. So organized and so inviting! Thanks for sharing with visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been orderly for a whole month now with everyday use. I've gotten into the habit of tidying up after each project. Thank you for hosting the Visibles, Patti. I don't know where Project Minima would be without you.

      Delete
  2. Your creative space looks just great! You have so much room! I think the doors are beautiful too. But mostly your triumphant pose in the hallway there really steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it functions wonderfully in this new configuration. It was so bad before, you could barely get in. (How did I get it there?) The people who lived here before put frosted glass in the door panels to allow more light into the room.

      Delete
  3. You've done a dozen or more pieces and your space still looks great? Clearly, this space suits you, everything sorted and at hand. Perfect! I'd have my arms in the air too. Alley diving has always been a great source of furniture, not so much in Vancouver, but in other cities I've lived in. I can't wait to see your latest works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been very good at cleaning up after myself thus far. I hope to continue. Alas, no alley diving in Vancouver. I'll cross that off my agenda then.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have a dedicated space! My kids nicked my sewing room, so now I have a more or less permanent sewing machine on the end of the dining table set up. With bits and bobs secreted in cupboards here and there! I still manage to thrift fabric and find clothes to alter. Can't help myself! So glad you feel better, and so you should! An epic accomplishment. xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Whether a separate studio off site, or the biggest, lightest room in my apartment, I've always managed to make a dedicated space for creative work. Who needs living space, when you can have creative space? That was/ is my motto.

      Then again, as you attest, one can't stop the creative spirit any how. She comes through regardless. Lucky kids too.

      Delete
    2. geez i hate google+, I was trying to get back to your blog to comment and I just kept going in circles on your name in google+. It used to be I could get out of there by clicking on one of your posts, but no longer. It just kicks me back to itself and another similar post. ok, rant finished.

      Delete
  5. You must feel absolutely wonderful. Nothing better than an organized creative space :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lovely tour of your creative space! I too have always dedicated part of my living space for making stuff even when we had kids at home. The family all realised it was too important to mom's well-being! Now there's only the two of us and we both need space to make stuff so most of our little house has become "studio". Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay is right. That's my idea of home, Louisa.

      Delete
  7. With a wonderful studio of possible like that, everything is most certainly going to be alright. I keep telling myself that I would be more creative if I had some space to work in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly are creative with the way you put yourself together, Shelley. Your style is art from head to toe.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tour of your perfectly organized work space. I'm sure that there will be magic coming our way, with everything in its place and easy to find. "Even when I'm aging every second."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, you noticed that bit of age over-consciousness...

      Delete
  9. I so enjoyed seeing your tidy space, but oh how I wish I had your chair!!! My back...waaah! :o) I think I'll go lay down now and quit whining!

    JJ
    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the chair it self, just a pad like thing you put over any chair you want. You can buy them at places like Bath, Bed and Beyond. Mine is ancient.

      Delete