Project Minima:

Monday, April 18, 2016

Who Made My Clothes?

The Fashion Revolution wants you to ask that question.  Maybe become conscious of consumption.

 I know I make all my own clothes...

~ these are from old tablecloths ~


~ but where they came from, I have no idea ~



Is there a limit to how conscious one can be?  Probably not.  Maybe a balance?  Certainly rationalizations abound.   And questions.


~ I never expected to sew all my clothes once upon a time either ~ 

Like where do I buy my fabric?  Or better yet where is it manufactured, how, by whom?  That sort of thing.  I haven't gone that far, that deep.  Nor am I likely.  But who knows, I never expected to sew all my clothes...

 
~ nor get all my shoes from ebay ~

It's a start.

I'm linking up with:   the Ethical Fashion Bloggers for Fashion Revolution Week;  Patti and the Visibles at Not Dead Yet Style; Catherine at I Will Wear What I Like and Cherie at Shoe and Tell.  ooo, do you think there's any amethyst in there?  Let's see what Anne says at Spy Girls' 52-Pick me up: Amethyst.



 

15 comments:

  1. It's more than a start, it's a huge accomplishment - and you know I am crazy for tablecloths. Maybe I was underfed at the table as a child??? Anyway, love these pieces, and pls. keep on making them. xox

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no stopping me now, Patti. And thanks, as always, for hosting the Visibles!

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts. I'm going over to read more.
    I thought making, mending and refashioning would be enough for me - refashioning and mending still feel best - but I'm getting more interested in the sources of fabric and dyes and then there's working conditions....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT THOSE SHOES!! Whew, sorry for yelling. That is a perfect Spring outfit; love the shape of each piece and the pattern. I think the fact that you make all of your own clothes puts you miles ahead of most people as far as leading a sustainable, eco-conscious life.

    I'm hoping that at some point I will re-learn to sew, perhaps when I am no longer working full time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are my favs - a lovely lavender grey, looked new and practically for free.

      Do it, do it, Shelley. Sewing is so freeing.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing outfit! And how clever you are to be able to create such an ensemble? Very, I would say. The simple tablecloth takes on quite a different meaning in your hands. Bravo x
    Anna
    www.annasislandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you don't have to worry about spilling anything on them.

      Delete
  5. ohh - beautiful suit! the tablecloth print adds to the asian style of the cuts!!! genius!!!!
    i was asking myself the same questions. but its hard to follow the traces of a piece of fabric - especially because i use to by my fabrics at street markets and such.
    but i think self sewing is a huge step in the right direction. very slow fashion if you will :-)
    hugs! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tablecloth clothes are all boggling in their style and art factor, including this outfit. Just making your clothes yourself must be part of the equation. Sometimes I want to know where my thrifted clothes come from, other times, don't. But I'm tired of thinking. I'm just happy to see you. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrifting and sewing clothes are in the same camp so to speak. It's buying fast fashion and tossing them in the landfill that's the worst. I'm always happy to see you, Ms. Mel.

      Delete
  7. Yes, the never-ending questions! Some days I just have to stop and decide I'm doing the best I can for the moment. I've just come back from a trip and am ready to do some more summer sewing. That'll keep me busy and entertained. LOVE those shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JEAN! Exactly. Don't you think, one is always doing the best one can at the moment? I look forward to seeing you on Dross Into Gold when you feel like being there.

      Delete