Project Minima:

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

FRILLER!

That's me in my newly made frilled top worn in the straight jacket version, I do believe.


~ alrighty then ~

Let's back up a bit...

~ ahh, that's better, don't ya think? ~

So here's the story.

This top was a major disaster from a Tina Givens pattern, Lucca.  Do not try this at home (or anywhere else for that matter).  The drafting and instructions do not fit together and make no sense in any way imaginable.  Nevertheless, she persisted.  And persisted.  Ripping, cutting, remaking and finally totally making my own pattern from scratch.  Thank the goddess I was using an old king size sheet because, in the end, I did use all the fabric.



~ now wearing in kimono version ~

And nothing is softer than old 100% cotton sheeting.  mmmm.



~ and that leads me to...~ 



Mending on my mind line mind, whatever.


~ I've been boro-ing on old makes that need some TLC ~



The first shirt is made from parchment linen and developed a hole above the side seam pocket.  It's actually an adaptation from Tina Givens Gina shirt pattern.  It was my first boro style, visible mending and I really luved the way it turned out.


~ sweet boro patching ~


The second shirt is really old and originally made from a king size pillow case.  I've already refashioned/ repaired it a few times.  It's had 2 new pair of sleeves, 2 new pairs of patch pockets, multiple refinishes around the neckline, new side seam pockets and underarm repairs.  After I removed the front patch pockets, the middle section needed massive restoration. 

~ big ole borro patching to the rescue ~


And now for a break from all that, we'll go to the grand finale.

~ my ebay Doc Martens ~

By the by, these old jeans are at least 30+ years and counting.  They were once high-waisted, cuffed and pleated.  That's long gone and this is their latest transformation.  And talk about soft.  mmmmm, can't get any more soft (or faded) than ancient jeans, bay-bee.


As soon as I get it together, I'll be linking up to Patti and the Visibles at Not Dead Yet Style, Catherine's I Will Wear What I Like and Cheri's Shoe and Tell.  See you there!


17 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this frilly wrap jacket is just the best, Pao. I am as ever in awe of your skills. Great trousers too. xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am persistent, even when the fabric's just a worn out old sheet. And now I have my very own Victorian straight jacket!

      Delete
  2. I love the top, the whole outfit, in fact. And, good on you for. Persevering with the TG pattern. I like her styles, but am not a fan of the patterns. I hate having to piece them together and then they are not very well drafted. But you really made this look sing! And, yes, for nice soft cotton sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it all there, Helen. But still I persist because I do like the styles. And yes, they are often adapted beyond recognition and that's okay.

      Delete
  3. I do love a good straight-jacket-style wrap. And frills. And versatility. And old sheets. Stellar outfit, Pao, right down to the shoes and old jeans. And the boro stitchery is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew you would, Melanie. Are you a boro stitcher? Nah, you're a Melanie stitcher. What could be bettah.

      Delete
  4. All the white soft goodness...mmmm! I can feel those old cotton sheets and jeans from here.
    Love those ethereal shots of the shirts on the line.
    The boroing is so fun and gorgeous isn't it. Especially on old sheets. I've had success as well. http://naturalmedley.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/eye-am-colourful.html
    Those jeans are transformed. What a difference!
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ethereal clothes line. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm doing laundry. Ok, I'm off to see your stuff now.

      Delete
  5. I have a slight addiction to a particular brand of sheets from Target, never seen them new but oodles of them at the Village of Values. Thriftwashing my guilt? They are desperately soft, to the point where going out in them really feels like I'm still in bed, just upright and outside. And isn't that a fine thing? Sleep in Saturday All Week Long!!!
    I am wondering, how many artiste-ic indie patterns have that 'instructions just don't go no where' (I have a special hate in my heart for a few of them, who have improved). And not just the current crop either. Nevertheless, she persisted and that's a superb wrapper, m'dame.
    I think I'm going to be m'damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheets in question are my very own old sheets. I don't even have to "thrift" them.

      I've never been interested in any of the other indie patterns. Except maybe the Sewing Workshop at times. They usually seem extremely boring and just the same ole thing you've seen for decades everywhere. What's the point?

      Delete
  6. What you've read is all too true, Valerie. You could try her free patterns and see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's not to love in these fabulous pieces? The boro stitching is delicious. I have a thrifted bamboo sheet that's screaming for an upcycle. I'm coming out of my hole and beginning to think about sewing again!!! Yay. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you haven't been sewing? Well Jean, I can't believe that. Let's see what you've got going. A little boro will make everything better.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe those lovely shirts used to be bed sheets. Your sewing skill continues to impress me, and inspire me. I just took my new Janome sewing machine out of its box today. We need to spend some quality time together learning each other's quirks before I attempt to sew anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the places you'll go, Shelley. Just have fun! The kitty will luv sewing too.

      Delete
  9. So inspiring! Your mends and amends and changes and variations on a theme are just wonderful. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Radostin, through and through.

      Delete