Project Minima:

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Rip Roaring RRRed


and ready to celebrate the big thaw... now that freezing temps seem balmy...


~ compared to the POlaR VorTEX ~

Yes, where for as far as you could see, Lake Michigan was FroZen, I tell you.  Never seen anything like it.  Even now at 40 degrees or so, the waves of ice caps coming to shore are still frozen in the act.


~ the coat I finished while being house-bound ~

Even mail service was suspended for two days because of the arctic freeze.
   

I saw this incredible helmet/bonnet/hat on Secret Lentil's site while I was in the midst of making my canvas frayed red coat and knew it was mine.  I adore it.  Check out her site for the amazing, one-of-a-kind, pieces of clothing she designs like no other.






Don't you think I should figure out how to dye fabric so my coat doesn't look so pristine?


I was planning on making a bunch of shades of red clothes to wear with the coat/duster.  I had in mind:  velvet, faux leather, taffeta or satin, mesh.  But then I just couldn't wait to wear it when the weather broke.  

So I shopped my closet, as they say.  I found that really invigorating.  I've never put something together based on wearing all one color before.  I layered one red thing over another and poof.  I was a force to be reckoned with.


~ this is what I wore to school on Saturday ~

More or less.  I also had on my other red coat over it all cuz it was still cold out.



~ yeah, bay-bee ~

The top dress is a cotton blend made from Tina Givens Rosalind pattern.  The under dress is from a Katherine Tilton Butterick 5986 pattern made out of a thin slinky knit of which the scarf thingy is also made.



~ real redness here ~

~ xoxo shoes from ebay ~


I'll be heading on out to Patti's Not Dead Yet Style party, Cherie's Shoe & Tell, and Catherine's I Will Wear What I Like when they all go live.  Come on by.  Oh, oh, and Judith's Hat Attack for February.


ed. note:  I do believe I never credited the beautiful red coat I made here!  It's from Tina Givens Elena pattern made out of canvas.



13 comments:

  1. Wow, you really have your personal style. Found you at Patty's party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful red! I have been dressing all-in-one-colour sometimes lately, also for the first time ever (except black, which I consider to be quite different). I haven't done all bright red yet, but I will. I was prompted by someone on Instagram who suggested dressing like a crayon! If you fancy peeping, I'm at www.instagram.com/jessiejessyg xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, wearing all black is pretty mainstream at this point. Dressing like a crayon describes it well. And you did so, Radostin, when I checked out your ensembles on instagram. Maybe not bright red, but you certainly captured an array of bright colors from the crayon box. How fun your dressing up is.

      Delete
    2. Ahh, thank you my dear. I am touched that you had a look. I do love all black too, even tho it has been done so much.
      Thanks always for the inspiration 🌹

      Delete
  3. Spray dye. You'll have to wait for it to warm up so stuff don't freeze (tis an outdoor job) but it's the costumers' friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, there is such a thing? Sounds so much more scary than any dump it in a pot of water dye where whatever happens, happens.

      Delete
  4. Hey Valerie. Great description. I was thinking of it as a Mad Max kinda hat, myself. I still plan on making the faux red leather trousers and red velvet over dress and who knows what else to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow jessyjessyg on IG so I am familiar with the concept of dressing like a crayon. That coat is such a good red! The shoes are killing me softly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and good reds are hard to find. What's the rest of that verse...killing me softly...? I've got another pair of xoxo shoes just like them in black and gray. Very comfy.

      Delete
  6. Lovely! reminds me of Little Red Riding Hood as well as Paolina Bonaparte...Red is for women who have something to say!!!! Brava. https://artforhousewives.blog/2013/07/11/color-vibration/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And lovely to see you, Cynthia. Speaking of someone who always has something meaningful to say on artforhousewives!

      Delete