Project Minima:

Sunday, August 26, 2018

I Was Inspired to Make This!

~ Yes, I do declare ~

I know, I know, it's hard to believe, but I've got the pictures to prove it.  I swear I never would've thought to wear my bloomers under my too-big-for-me-now jeans.  Never.


~ starting bottoms up ~

Worn with my pink Frye boots from ebay, my Mom's old kitchen curtains turned bloomers from long ago, those ancient blue jeans, and a long tank top made out of stretch mesh. 


~ this is it! ~

I only needed a light-weight, vintage looking fabric for the making of a shirt-dress/ duster to complete my sartorial splendor.  And I found this cotton voile with meandering embroidered flowers in white, pale blue to gray and faded black thread at Fabric Mart.    Perfect!  (It's no longer there).





I finally selected McCall's 7472 pattern and then changed it up quite a bit when I found I chose too small a size.  geez.  I had wanted something I could wear over things.

You know how it goes, in making changes, one thing leads to another, and another...

If you want to see more, plus the original inspiration photos, continue after the break.



 For instance, I didn't like the straight up and down, boring look of the back, so:
  • I cut a slit up the center back to add a triangular panel.  
~ see here ~

  • Somehow the shoulders became too wide, so I made a small pleat at the center back at the collar joint.  I thought it worked swell with the triangular insert.  
  • It just needed a little something at their meeting point.  A circular cut-out of fabric with an embroidered flower on top did the trick.
~ ahh, there it is ~


  • I inserted 2" wide strips of fabric down both side seams.  Later, I camouflaged them with 2" wide lace.
~ voila ~

  • This made seam binding a necessity to bring the once adjoining side seams closer together. 
~ more and more ~

  • Then seam binding was needed for the entire hem, rather than the suggested fold-up-and-hem.  I used self-made binding from the fabric.

  • Did I mention how I screwed up the placement of all my buttonholes? (too close to the edge).  Which meant the buttons also had to be placed too close to the edge to work right.   (What a look!) 
  • After a rejuvenating nap, I thought of putting a strip of lace on each side of the button facing in an attempt to remedy the imbalance.  A bit better.


Here's what started me off:  Those Posing Girls from Magnolia Pearl.  Yep, I cannot even call this Lounge Wear like my previous post, and certainly not Resort Wear like the post before that.

 Dear Readers, whatever shall I call this?  
(Boho and Shabby Chic are automatically disqualified.)




Well, now I can see my clothes need to be much baggier (or I need to be less so) to get the full effect.  Oh, and I forgot my hat!  Dear me, I was being inspired, not copycatting. hrumph.


Meanwhile, I'll be linking up with Patti at Not Dead Yet Style, Catherine at I Will Wear What I Like and Cherie at Shoe & Tell when they all go live.



19 comments:

  1. How about Vagabond Vogue? Or, in the case of young, beautiful, and rich models: Trust Fund Couture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have forgotten your hat but do I spy a glimpse of your super cool blue specs?
    Rosa I think Vagabond Vogue is inspired!
    Maybe Victorian Vagabond Vogue to incorporate the ruffles.
    Well done Pao!! This was almost like the old days with all the alterations :-)
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VVV for short! Oh, I do think this is like the current days with all the alterations, Jazzy Jack. I just don't list them all. In fact, I'm getting much slower at sewing it seems to me.

      Delete
  3. Well there's something cowgirl about the Frye boots, old blue jeans and duster! How about Doc's Holiday?! Love the outfit and seeing what inspired you to create it. Thanks for sharing all the little details. Lots of great ideas for camouflaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, Doc's Holiday is sublime, danae rem. Yea, I had everything already except for the duster - even the hat, but sometimes enough is enough. Glad you enjoyed the process.

      Delete
  4. I love how you rescued the duster from oblivion! That fabric is lovely. And who’d have thought pantaloons under jeans worked so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not me! However, they do help hold up those too big jeans from sliding on down to the ground.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Love this post. The fabric of the duster is beautiful and your alterations extremely clever and creative, as is the whole outfit. Definitely has a romantic old west vibe.

    Theresa

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Theresa. I don't usually go on at length about my process (or show each incident.) But, hey, there seems to be an interest in how it all works itself out and why.

      Delete
  6. Ahhhh, the process commentary was refreshing. I haven't been sewing much recently but might have to get back to it. Sometimes I think I shouldn't have to rework everything but you've just reminded me it's okay. Also, what's up with your too-big jeans? Keto? Seems to be all the rage, and my 20 plus pounds in the last few years should probably be addressed. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jean! I just luv it when you stop by. Haven't been sewing much? What else is there? I refuse to accept failure, so reworking is my creative alternative - along with naps as needed.
      Yeah, I've been on an exercise regime for over a year (16 months) with no change in eating and have been losing weight each month.

      Delete
  7. Oh my word! You are a sewing genius! Absolutely love the look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Daenel T, glad you like it. And thanks!

      Delete
  8. Embellishment fixing everything, I do believe, Valerie. Miss your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the duster look, and yes its very MP goes to Tombstone. I really like all of the manufacturing detail and description of how you got there. Keep that up!
    bonnie in provence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right, bonnie. And good to know you're like all the in-depth reporting I'm dishing out.

      Delete
  10. I really like this look and I would wear the whole thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think I'm gravitating to this more laissez-faire look.

      Delete