Project Minima:

Monday, September 26, 2016

Liking Some Baggy Pants, Are Ye?

Har, har, har.  Then see 'em here.

~ That be them, alrighty ~



~ and that be me standing at the Girls Entrance ~

just down the street from my house going in the other direction.  And this is a public school.  Hopefully they don't use the entrances as designated anymore.   But it is where we vote, conveniently.



~ Notice the silk dupioni? ~


Let me tell you the pants story.  First off, you'll never believe the pattern I used.  Sandra Betzina Vogue 1355!  Hardy har har.  I wanted real harem pants.  So using her pattern, I cut a larger size, especially since I was using the silk and she called for a stretch fabric.  I basically shortened and lengthened them.  huh? you say.  Well, I kept the crotch where it was, but raised the waistline to 19" tall and by the same token, shorten the leg length to 18".  I adjusted it using the shorten/lengthen line on the pattern.  That way I got the nice dropped crotch that I wanted and the drapey-ness, but still had the narrow ankle.  woo-hoo.




~ le detail ~


I had just a yard or less left of the antique gold dupioni, so I thought I'd make a crop top and then see what I could do about it after the fact.  This is one of those items where you just fold the fabric in half lengthwise and then again widthwise and cut a tunic out of it.  I sewed it up and left the hem edges raw.  The sleeve edges were the selvedges.  Added seam binding with raw edges for the neckline.  I had 4 rectangular scraps left and added them on the center front and back of the crop top.  Voila.

Oh, and the necklace is made from scrap strips of striped color jersey, then tied in big knots.




~ avec crochet beading ~

The top underneath is one I've refashioned several times over, but I thought it worked just fine with the silk 'pants suit.'




~ and ebay Trippens ~


Without further adieu, I'm sailing on over to Patti and the Visibles at Not Dead Yet Style.  Then Catherine's I Will Wear What I Like and Cherie's Shoe and Tell when they go live.  Hope to see you there.


20 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, love these harem pants. And all your mad re-fashioning skillz. xox
    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I be me, ya know, etc. and everyone else is thee or them...

      Delete
  2. Yes, woman, I am liking the baggy pants. How do you do it? Those are some serious farking skills! I love the raw edge. I'm trying to envision the folding lengthwise and then widthwise. I sounds suspiciously like something I might be able to do. Plus, all the details are just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you can do the fold, fold again and cut. You do more than that all the time. Talk about farking skillz! You are my North Schtar, bay-bee.

      Delete
  3. OH HO! AH HA! The harem pants are all kinds of fabulous Pao! Me thinks I'm falling under your spell!

    PS You seem to have eleventy different directions from your house, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you made the subdued version of these pants or the non-interferred with version. And they were very cool. In fact, did you not make 2?

      Well now, the first time I walked a few doors East. The next was a few blocks East. And this time I switched it up with a few doors West. I don't have to go far for big changes.

      Delete
  4. As I was drafting myself a pair of harem pants, I stumbled over McCalls 4916 harem/Hammer pants for 69 cents at Value Village, and just let them to the tissue work. I've got them down to a yard and a quarter of 60" wide (i'm 5'2"). Wore them all summer, no photos to speak of ("Mom, do you have to wear those? I'm not taking your photo in those"). Love em. And with 1 1/2" elastic in the waist, I have pockets I can put a coffee in. Right side up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working up a big ole pocket for 'em as we speak. Can't live without them.

      Delete
  5. Ooo, I do like a drop-crotch pant - Fab outfit Pao! I have a couple of crop tops shaped very similar as this one that I wear over tank tops in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those crop tops are very simple to make, Shelley. Especially when you have enough fabric. You should give it a go.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe the mean people pinteresting me about them, Hollie. pfft!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous trousers, totally fabulous! And aren't you so clever with all that adapting and cutting to get them just right. Oh, and love those shoes as a finishing touch!
    Anna x
    www.annasislandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gotta do what you gotta do when what you want isn't out there. yea. Like, I luv what you did to the Yellow Traveling Skirt, Anna!

      Delete
  8. you should give classes for creative pattern drawing!!! this suit ist totally fab! and you have the best colored silks!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be good, Beate. As I have no idea how to 'pattern draw.' This was the first silk I bought. It was flawed, but cheap, and I didn't care since I'm like that!

      Delete
  9. You need to be in Goa wearing those beauties, every inch the hippy chick with attitude. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you're talking about you, dear Vix. With the 'every inch the hippy chick with attitude.' Surely. xxx

      Delete
  10. LOVE the outfit, dear pao. I'm very fond of baggy pants. Own several pairs myself. And the shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baggy pants for ever and ever, please. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete