Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wine/ Burgundy Transformation

painting by Salvadore Dali
Found a boring old linen-esque, wine-colored jacket with a matching long skirt in my closet the other day and thought, what's to lose?  Well...it didn't fit anyway.

So first I worked with the skirt. It had a waistband, a zipper in the back and a kick slit on one side.  hmm.  I seam-ripped both side seams thinking I'd add inserts.  Found some fabric scrap that was similar in texture but a little silkier to the touch and a shade off from wine, maybe burgundy?  The piece already had really nice frayed edges so I decided to use them, I mean, why not?  It was a bit wider than I was planning on, but wotheheck.


Meanwhile, I was removing some of the waistband and decided to undo these large darts while I was at it which expanded the width of the skirt substantially.  Sewed it all together (the insert and the waistband) and voila, it fit and I didn't need another insert on the other side!  And the zip still ended up in the middle back.  It was the undone darts that did it!  So I added the bit of frayed piece I had cut off for the insert and made a patch pocket out of it for the other side of the skirt.  Asymmetrical balance achieved.   A no longer boring linen-esque wine/ burgundy skirt that fits just fine, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...